The owner of any computer eventually comes to the search for the answer to the question of how to speed up the laptop and computer on Windows 10, without resorting to buying expensive components. In today’s article we’ll talk about what factors and how affect system performance and get acquainted with ways to improve computer performance in a wide variety of cases.
We’ll note that we won’t talk about increasing the system’s power by purchasing and replacing components; we’ll only consider the problems that slow down the PC’s functioning regarding the software, in particular settings, garbage and file fragmentation.
As for applications for automatic cleaning and system optimization, their operation should be carried out with an understanding of what these applications do, how they speed up the computer. Without this, it is better not to use such software in order to avoid negative consequences that are eliminated by rolling back the system, resetting it, or reinstalling it.
Table of Contents
A huge list of automatically launched applications, services and drivers
And the most interesting thing is that most users do not even suspect that there are many applications at startup, because they themselves did not add anything there. Applications are introduced into autorun during their first launch or at the installation stage, which the user is not always notified about.
Having opened the startup list, the user will see all the programs that start along with Windows 10. The following applications are most often integrated into startup (for convenience, we classify them into categories).
1. Applications for working with peripheral devices: cameras, printers, multifunction devices, mobile phones, Bluetooth, applications for laptop power management. Typically, there are 2-3 such programs on a PC, and on a laptop even more, they slow down the computer and its speed, but they use a few utilities: you can print and scan through your preferred office programs and graphics viewers, and you can configure the power consumption in the Control Panel
2. Download managers and clients for working in torrent networks. These utilities should not be run with the operating system unless you are constantly downloading or distributing files. Download Manager should be launched if necessary, something to download (or distribute). In the case of clients for peer-to-peer networks, these tiny applications, after adding several downloads with a large number of files, begin to consume hundreds of megabytes of RAM. This leads to brakes on laptops. Not only does the torrent client consume up to 1 GB of RAM, it also heavily loads physical disks, which is not an easy test for a portable device with a hard drive with a rotational speed of 5400 per minute.
3. OneDrive and other cloud storage, which few people use. Microsoft Network Attached Storage automatically starts in Windows 10, and if you are not using it, the service should be removed from startup.
4. Unnecessary programs that are installed together with other products, if you do not inadvertently remove the corresponding checkmarks in one of the installer windows. Such programs include Sputnik Mail.ru, Amigo, Yandex-browser, Bing search panel and other similar products.
5. Other applications that the user did not place at startup or is not even aware of their existence. Information about each of them can be obtained from the Internet and make a conclusion about the need to run the program yourself.
Here’s an instruction that will show you how to speed up the loading of Windows 10 by removing garbage from startup.
1. Call the "Task Manager" through the context menu of the Taskbar.
2. Expand it by clicking "Details".
3. Go to the "Startup" tab.
4. Through the context menu of each unnecessary object, we exclude it from the list of automatically loaded with the operating system.
Tracking in Windows 10
Everyone knows about tracking "dozens" of all user actions at the computer and sending a mass of confidential data to Microsoft servers. In addition to getting into personal life, espionage functions consume a lot of system resources and a network channel. Tracking is disabled during the installation of the operating system, through its “Settings” and special applications. See the manual dedicated to this topic for more details.
Tiles on Start consume system resources, and if they are not needed, such applications should be deactivated.
This is done by unpinning the tiles through their context menu. You can remove these programs through PowerShell, which is also described in more detail on our website.
Unused device drivers placed at startup and non-original / outdated software for controlling the functioning of PC hardware. Unnecessary drivers can be removed from autorun through the Starter program, just don’t be too zealous here, and drivers for the chipset, video card and SATA controllers must be downloaded from the official support resources and reinstalled by deleting or replacing their old versions. In the case of drivers for the video adapter, they can be removed using the Display Driver Uninstaller.
It is mandatory to replace device drivers whose properties on the tab “Driver” indicate the supplier as Microsoft.
Beautiful visual effects and sound system events
Ever since the days of XP and the Seven, many are familiar with the way to improve system performance by disabling visual effects for windows and menus, such as casting shadows, transparency, animation, and others. All graphic effects are disabled, followed by most actions in Explorer, through the properties of the system.
2. Select "System".
3. Go to the advanced system settings.
4. In the "Advanced" tab, click on the "Performance" button.
5. Move the checkbox to the “Ensuring the best performance” position or manually remove the checkmarks from the effects that should be deactivated. Thus, it is possible to increase the speed of the computer / laptop without significant damage to the graphical appearance of the Windows 10 environment.
Through the “Parameters” called by WinI, you can visit the accessibility section. In the last section “Other Parameters” we turn off the first option, which is responsible for playing the animation in Windows 10.
In addition, we go to the personalization section in the same “Settings” window and in the “Colors” section, deactivate the transparency effect of the Taskbar, Start and Notification Center. This will positively affect the speed of the PC.
A miserable increase in PC speed can be achieved by turning off annoying sound systemic events. We call the applet “Sound”, where on the tab “Sounds” we select the scheme “Silent” and save the new settings. Now Windows 10 will not access the hard drive to play the corresponding audio file.
If after following the above recommendations the computer still slows down and don’t know how to speed up Windows 10, then pay attention to the presence of unwanted programs in the system that antiviruses do not consider as such. To detect this kind of application, you should use the domestic development of AVZ or the AdwCleaner utility, despite the presence of an antivirus on the computer.
To speed up the launch and reduce its consumption of resources, check out the add-ons (plugins) for it. Perhaps the abundance of extensions and toolbars adversely affects the work of the Internet browser. Additionally, you should clean the browser history and cache. this will reduce the number of read operations performed during application launch.
Due to the recording of information on the HDD, files are not written in sequential sectors, but randomly, because of which sectors of one file can be located in different parts of the disk. This greatly reduces the speed of access to documents, because the reading head has to literally run across the entire surface of the drive in a certain order to read the required file. An operation called defragmentation will help to tidy up the file system and place sectors with fragments of one file in sequence.
1. Call the "Properties" of any volume.
2. Go to the “Service” tab.
3. Click on the “Optimize” icon.
4. Select the section (preferably starting with the system one) and click "Optimize".
In the process of defragmentation, the computer should not be loaded with read-write information, so as not to slow down the optimization process.
To maintain high performance in Windows 10, you should follow these guidelines.
- Keep the operating system and all software, primarily drivers, up to date. stay tuned.
- Periodically clean your computer and system registry of debris using, for example, CCleaner.
- When operating a PC carefully, you should consider removing the antivirus program and firewall, and use only the built-in protection tool, periodically checking the system for malware using AVZ or another preferred analogue.
- Make sure that the system volume has at least 5 GB of free space for storing temporary files and the correct installation of programs. If the volume is large, the free space should reach at least 10% of its total size.
Errors in optimizing Windows 10
The first thing that should not be done in order to increase the speed of a computer is the use of utilities for automatic cleaning, optimization and tuning of the system, not knowing what these programs are likely to do.
If you have the knowledge and confidence in your actions (by creating a system resuscitation point), you can disable unnecessary system services to increase the speed of startup and operation of the computer. But you should not touch unknown services or turn off virtually everything in a row. this can lead to errors and / or problems with the functioning of something (the network suffers first of all).