When connecting new devices or having problems, with software failures or system errors, experts recommend installing or updating drivers on the sound card and other equipment.
In this regard, the question arises, how to do this? While on new operating systems it is enough to run the automatic update program, how can I update the driver on an older os such as windows xp?
Table of Contents
How to find out if the driver is installed on the hardware?
It is important to check whether the equipment connected correctly when it was paired with a computer, and if the driver was installed. After updating the software for windows devices, it is also necessary to check the correctness of the performed action.
In order to check whether the driver is installed on the sound, you must perform the following steps:
- Right-click on “My Computer”, if it is not on the desktop, you can do this from the “Start” menu and select “Device Manager”. If there is no such menu item, go to step 2;
- You can get to this menu through the “Control Panel”;
- You need to select the system setting;
- Next, in the window that appears, select the “Hardware” tab and click the “Device Manager” button;
- Uninstalled windows equipment with problematic drivers will be marked with a yellow exclamation mark, and disconnected and completely inoperative devices with a red cross.
How to choose software manually?
If the automatic driver installation failed and there is no software, and you need to update them, you will have to start searching for them. Often, you can download the necessary software on the sites of the device manufacturer by indicating its series, number and model.
However, the model of one or another component may not be known, especially if it is necessary to install or update the driver on a device such as a sound card. Climbing into the system unit to visually see the serial number is not always possible. In this case, you must use the search by equipment ID.
Each component of your computer has a unique number that allows the hardware of the system to be combined with the software. to identify it. To find out the windows device ID:
- Go to the device manager as described above;
- Select the problematic component, double-click it with the left mouse button or once with the right mouse button and select “Properties” in the drop-down menu;
- Select the “Details” tab, and in the drop-down menu. “Equipment Codes (ID)”;
- Select the top, most complete code and copy it using the key combination “CtrlC”;
- Find the required sound card driver in the search engine and download it.
After installing the new hardware software, do not forget that you need to reboot in order for the windows system to accept the changes correctly and start working with sound.
To automatically install drivers from Microsoft servers, you can use the standard means of windows. However, this feature is disabled by default. To use it, you must perform the following steps:
- Make sure Windows Automatic Updates is enabled. To do this, go to the “Control Panel” and select the appropriate setting;
- Any of the parameters can be selected, except the last, which excludes the possibility of installing new system files;
- Now you need to return to managing system settings. To do this, select the “System” option in the control panel;
- In the “Hardware” tab, select “Windows Update Node” and activate one of the top two options.
After confirming the selected parameters, it remains only to connect to the Internet, wait for the files to be received, install and update them.
Update using optional software
The standard means of the operating system allow you to find the necessary "fresh" driver for a new sound card. However, software versions are far from always up to date. Not all components and not all models are supported, which means that only part of the equipment will be updated. In addition, the drivers are designed as general and may not convey all the intricacies of the settings of specialized equipment, even if you install their latest versions.
Therefore, it is better to use the drivers that the creator of your sound card provides. They are made specifically for your component and will make maximum use of its resources. But manually tracking the update of each device is not at all easy. Therefore, there are many programs that allow you to install and update drivers on all devices. They can be divided into:
- assemblies of current drivers for the current period;
- search and tracking updates on the manufacturer’s websites with the ability to automatically download and install.