Now it is impossible to imagine life without a mobile phone, but in some cases it becomes useless. There is no connection or a very weak signal happens in the basement, in cars, in an area far from the relay antenna or in a city where there are many high-rise buildings that extinguish the signal. In these cases, you can use a ready-made additional device or learn how to make and connect the antenna to a mobile phone with your own hands.
Table of Contents
What is a cell phone?
Before you start searching for and reconstructing external antennas for a mobile device, you need to understand how a modern cellular device works. And it is a small radio station operating at different frequencies determined by the mobile operator. So, in the ratio “transmission. reception”: the base station (BS). telephone (MS) operates at 935.2–959.8 MHz, and the telephone (MS). base station (BS). at 890.2–914, 8 MHz The channel relationship from BS to MS is called Down Link, and MS to BS is called Up Link.
Any providers limit the range of a mobile phone from the base station to a distance of 35 km. With this configuration, the number of talk channels reaches 8 and is the standard mode used in the urban area. While GSM provides for a non-standard configuration with a communication range of 70–100 km (Extended Cell), but at the same time there are fewer channels. a maximum of 3. The latter mode is usually used in the coastal coverage area.
Which external antenna is suitable for a smartphone
The quality of communications and signal strength are also influenced by location, terrain, weather and time of year, sensitivity and power of a cell phone and main antenna. Automotive or standard is installed on the street, preferably on the roof of a building or car. Like television, it must be directed towards the nearest base station. To do this, the device should be moved and rotated until the signal amplifies.
- The wave contains a traverse with perpendicularly arranged reflectors. Their sizes depend on the frequency directly proportional to the wavelength. It has a clear advantage of signal amplification with rather small dimensions. The disadvantage is the need for accurate guidance to the station.
- Parabolic consists of a reflector and an irradiator. This design amplifies the signal quite strongly, but at the same time, installation requires certain skills. The disadvantage of this antenna is zero efficiency with inaccurate tuning.
- The flat panel is a flat small square with an irradiator inside the reflector. The advantage of the device is a wide range of directivity, which does not require accurate aiming, but at the same time gives average signal amplification.
- The pin design is a small vertical rod, which is both an irradiator and a reflector. A plus of the antenna is a circular orientation, which does not require precise installation on the provider’s basic distributor. But there is a nuance, it is necessary to place such an antenna so that there are no screening structures between it and the base. It is installed where special signal amplification is not required.
How to connect an external antenna to a mobile phone
Typically, cell phones are tuned to high frequencies. Therefore, for the efficiency of the external structure, the quality of the cable and its connection is of great importance. It is best to use a coaxial wire (RG-6 from well-known manufacturers) and a high-frequency connector. If there is no jack for attaching an external antenna, you can use the speakerphone. In this case, the antenna wire is connected to the speakerphone, and the mobile phone is inserted into the socket of this device. It is also possible to make 3-4 turns of a central residential cable around a mobile phone, near an integrated antenna.
Of course, this method of using the phone is not entirely convenient and is limited by the length of the wire. But these inconveniences can be avoided by making the mobile device stationary.
For voice messages, a repeater is installed that receives and transmits signals from the antenna, amplifying them directly in the installation area.
Repeater for mobile communications
How to make an antenna for a cell phone yourself
A quick whip antenna can be made from what is in the house
- Take the copper wire and bend it into a diamond-shaped "eight" with a side of 8 cm. Connect the antenna to the telephone with a cable, having previously cleaned its ends. In a horizontal position, attach to the ceiling where there is a stronger signal.
- Use culinary foil, making a big “bag” out of it and putting a mobile phone in it.
- You can use an iron basin of a suitable size, using it as a parabolic antenna with a mobile phone in focus.
DIY diamond-shaped antenna
Home antenna, which is mainly suitable for signal amplification. To do this, you need: pliers, pincers or a knife, coaxial cable, soldering equipment, copper wire (8 cm) and an adapter for a mobile device (Chinese can be).
- Strip one end of the high-frequency cable so as not to damage the central core, it will be connected to the antenna. The other end connects to the phone.
- Solder the copper wire to the core of the cable so that the structure is strong and is positioned vertically up. Solder the same wire to the cable braid vertically down.
- To fix both copper wires on a small wooden board, insulating in soldered places.
- Mount this structure on the roof as high as possible, and connect the other end of the antenna cable to the phone using the adapter.
A portable antenna is suitable even if there is no network at all.
This is a fairly simple device, but quite effective. Such a device can be used everywhere. For this you will need: a radio antenna from an old tape recorder, a thin wire (0.5 m), a screwdriver, a soldering iron and a small washer.
- Disassemble the radio antenna at the base.
- Solder the wires to the washer.
- Assemble the base of the antenna by attaching a washer with a wire.
- Remove the cover from the phone and find the connector for connecting an additional antenna.
- Strip the other end of the wire 1-2 mm (no more) and insert into the hole in the center of this connector.
- Fix the wire by phone and look at the network scale. The indicator should show 6 out of 6 sticks.
- The cover from the mobile device can not be installed.
In addition to home-made antennas, you can use purchased repeaters to make stable communication in any premises and remote areas. But the cost of such equipment is quite high and comparable to the price of a good mobile phone, and more advanced solutions reach 2-3 thousand dollars. Therefore, at home, you can always use cheaper and available means of signal amplification.