How to improve laptop performance on Windows 8? Very often, laptop owners are not very happy with the speed of their assistant. And, for example, if you compare two laptops with almost the same parameters, then one works very slowly, and the second just “flies”. There may be several reasons for this, but most likely, you just need to optimize the operating system.
So, let’s look at how to improve laptop performance on Windows 8.
Table of Contents
Modern laptops have several shutdown modes: hibernation, sleep, and shutdown. In our case, the most beneficial mode is sleep mode. If you turn the laptop on and off several times a day, then there is no point in completely extinguishing it. You can simply put it into sleep mode. For you, this is also a significant time saver.
In order for the laptop to go to sleep when closing the lid, you need to do the following:
- Go to the "Control Panel";
- Select "System and Security";
- In the "Power" section, select "Configure the power scheme" (the one that is currently active);
- Next. “Change advanced power settings”;
- And finally, in the “Power buttons and cover” section, we select the parameters you need and save the changes.
Disable visual effects, as well as speed and virtual memory settings.
A significant load on the laptop have visual effects and a file that is used for virtual memory. To configure these settings, you must do the following:
- Press the keys “Win” and “Q” at the same time;
- In the search bar, write "Customizing the performance of the system";
- In the search results, select this item;
- The "Performance Options" opens;
- In the tab "Visual Effects" we put a checkmark in front of the entry "Ensure the best performance";
- In the tab "Advanced" there is a section "Virtual memory";
- Click on the “Change” button.
It should be remembered that to increase the size of the swap file, there must be at least 15% free space on the system disk. If so, then uncheck the box “Automatically select the size of the paging file”. And put the required size in megabytes. Usually it is equal to 1.5-2 volumes of RAM, that is, if you have 4GB of RAM. put the size of the swap file 6-8 GB.
Cleaning the startup.
When you turn on the laptop loads a lot of programs and applications that are not used constantly. If desired, they can be removed from startup. This is done as follows:
- Press the keys "Ctrl", "Shift", "Esc" in order to start the task manager (the "Msconfig" command in Windows 8 does not work);
- In the "Startup" tab, disable all programs and applications that are not needed.
Speeding up laptop hard drives.
If you do not use disk file search, then you do not need this option. To disable it you need:
- Open "My Computer";
- Right-click on the desired drive and select "Properties";
- In the "General" tab, uncheck the "Allow indexing " item and click "Ok."
Caching allows you to speed up work with the hard drive, and, accordingly, speed up the laptop. To enable it, you must:
- Right-click on the "Start";
- Select "Device Manager";
- And in it, in the disk devices section on the desired disk, click on “Properties”;
- In the "Policy" tab, check the box "Allow caching of records for this device";
- We save all the settings by clicking "OK".
Cleaning Winchester from debris, defragmentation.
Trash are temporary files that are used by the system at a specific time. The system does not always delete such files on its own. The more they accumulate, the slower the machine runs. It is best to clean the garbage using some kind of utility.
Defragmentation is the process of updating a drive to ensure that files are stored in a continuous sequence of clusters. The more clusters, the more difficult it is for a laptop to work. To determine if your laptop needs defragmentation:
- Go to the "Control Panel";
- In the search bar write “Defragmentation”;
- Select the disk that you want to analyze, click "Analyze";
- And then you need to act according to the results.
For defragmentation, it is recommended to use a utility that is convenient for you.
Removal of viruses.
Very often viruses and malware become the main problem of "braking" a laptop. Therefore, periodically you need to scan your computer and remove viruses. Windows 8 has a Windows Defender application that scans your laptop and helps get rid of viruses.
tips on how to improve laptop performance on Windows 8.
Choose a classic theme that consumes little resources, increasing performance.
Disable all kinds of gadgets. They are very busy system.
Uninstall or do not install programs that you do not need.
Well, and, if possible, install an SSD drive that will run much faster than a regular hard drive.