Currently, wireless technologies are very widely used and WiFi networks are ubiquitous both in public places and in users’ homes. This was due to significant convenience, because in order to access the World Wide Web there is no need to pull cables to the gadget, and device owners also get freedom of movement within the Wi-Fi range without losing their connection to the network.
Therefore, a significant number of users daily face the challenge of using Wi-Fi on their mobile devices. One of the most popular devices for working in the global network, of course, is a laptop with the Windows 7 operating system. The instructions on how to connect the Internet via WiFi on a laptop with Windows 7 are described in detail below, with specific recommendations on what to do when the laptop does not see WiFi.
Table of Contents
Basic requirements for a successful wireless network connection
Almost all modern laptops have the necessary functionality for connecting to WiFi. Despite the huge number of laptop models produced today by various manufacturers, they all function in accordance with the same communication standards. Basically, the differences in the settings depend on the version of the computer’s operating system.
Sometimes the manufacturer provides special software for a more comfortable connection to wireless networks, but it is better and more reliable to master the configuration skill using Windows tools.
The main requirements for successfully solving the task:
- The built-in laptop wireless device (adapter) must be activated;
- The current version of the WiFi device driver is installed;
- The WLAN auto-tuning service is enabled.
How to turn on a Wi-Fi device in a laptop?
The methodology differs depending on the model and manufacturer of the laptop, so it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the documentation that came with the PC. Typically, a laptop has a separate mechanical switch for the WiFi adapter. Next to it, a characteristic icon indicating wireless communication is necessarily drawn. The user only needs to set this switch to the "On" position.
But if the owner of the computer after careful examination of the device case did not find such a switch, it means that the manufacturer provided for the activation of the adapter using the keyboard, for example, one of the function buttons “F1. F12” will display the Weifai sign. To enable it, hold down the Fn key and click on the function key. The success of the procedure will be indicated by the activity of the WiFi light indicator, which is often located on the front panel of the laptop.
Installing the latest driver for a WiFi device
Through the mobile operator’s network or through a wired connection to the global network, you need to visit the official resource of the PC manufacturer from the laptop and download the necessary software for the normal functioning of the built-in wireless device. Next, install the driver and restart the computer.
How do I enable the WLAN auto-configuration service?
The following few steps must be completed:
- Run the console as administrator and type “sc config Wlansvc start = auto”;
- Click "Enter";
- Then type “net start Wlansvc”;
- Click on the “Enter” button again;
- Done. Now the Wi-Fi device sees all the wireless networks in their range.
In "Windows 7" the whole process is carried out through a special network icon located in the system tray. In the figure below it is clear that by the look of this icon you can immediately determine if the laptop is connected to Wi-Fi or not.
To connect to WiFi, only a few of the following consecutive steps are required from the user:
- Click on the aforementioned icon and select the Wi-Fi network with which you plan to connect the laptop to the menu that appears;
- If there is no requirement for an access code to enter the selected network, after completing the 2nd paragraph of this instruction, you can start working on the Internet;
- When the Wi-Fi signal is encrypted with the set access code, a window with a field will be displayed in which you will need to print it and then click “Ok”;
- All! Now you can start surfing the vast expanses of the worldwide information network.
Most common problems
Often the network icon is not displayed in the tray. The problem occurs because of the following:
- Drivers are not installed or updated;
- The Wi-Fi adapter is off.
Obviously, the first point is decided by visiting the official pages on the Internet of the equipment manufacturer and installing the required software from there.
The second point, in addition to the method described at the beginning of this manual with the activation of the adapter using buttons, also sometimes requires inclusion through Windows 7 tools.
To this end, the following steps should be taken:
- Click “Start” and launch “Control Panel”;
- Then enter the tab "Network and Internet";
- Further to the "Network and Sharing Center";
- Click “Change adapter settings”;
- The “Network Connections” menu will be displayed on the monitor, where you need to call the context menu from “Wireless Network Connection”;
- Click on the line “Enable”;
- Done. The desired icon appears in the tray on the taskbar.
If the icon has a characteristic red mark, then this indicates a disconnected Wi-Fi network. Basically, in the "Seven" this happens for 2 of the following reasons:
- The user did not turn on the Wi-Fi adapter through the button on the laptop;
- Wi-Fi is deactivated in the Windows Mobility Center.
The solution to the first problem has already been discussed in detail above. And to eliminate the second, you need to perform several of the following actions:
- Call the context menu from the laptop power icon in the tray and click the line "Windows Mobility Center";
- Next, in the Weifai column, click "Enable Wireless Network";
After completing the above steps and connecting to the wireless network, the next time you turn on the laptop, you usually do not need to do any of the above, since the PC will automatically log into this network.