Before you learn how to disable hibernation in Windows 10, you need to understand whether the user really needs it and what alternatives are there. At the end of the article are common problems that arise with the sleep mode in the "top ten."
Table of Contents
What is hibernation and sleep mode?
For beginners, sleep mode is often associated with hibernation, which is fundamentally wrong. Hibernation is the state of a computer / laptop when all data stored in its RAM is written to a special file on a hard drive. It is stored in the root of the system volume, called hiberfil.sys, and takes up an amount equal to the amount of RAM installed or used in the system.
Used RAM means that the PC can have 4 GB of RAM, and with 32-bit Windows 10 installed, the system uses only
During shutdown, all data from volatile memory is written to this file, and the bootloader is notified that the OS should be started by writing the contents of hiberfil.sys to RAM. Turning on the PC is carried out in a few seconds, and all open programs retain their state at the time it is turned off.
Windows 10 hibernation features low power consumption. When it is activated, part of the equipment and peripheral devices are turned off, and the main components of the computer / laptop begin to work at minimum power consumption, which is necessary to maintain the “tens” in working condition.
Turn off sleep mode through the options
We figured out the difference between PC shutdown modes, now we’ll learn how to turn off sleep mode in Windows 10.
1. The simplest way to do this is to use the “Options” menu functionality, called, for example, using the WinI combination.
2. In the menu, go to the "System" section, where we click on the inscription: "Power, sleep mode."
In the second subsection, "Sleep" and sleep is configured.
3. At the bottom, click "Advanced power settings" to open a window that allows you to deactivate sleep mode and select the response of the "Power" key to be pressed while the PC is running or if the laptop cover is closed.
Configure sleep mode through the Control Panel
This section describes how to disable sleep mode in Windows 10.
You can open the Control Panel in the top ten in a variety of ways, so we will not dwell on them.
1. Go to the applet of the "Power" panel, where it is more finely configured to switch to sleep mode than the previous method allows.
2. Click "Configure the power scheme" next to the selected circuit (indicated by the active switch).
3. Next, select "Never" to disable sleep mode and save the settings.
By clicking “Change advanced settings”, you will be able to fine-tune the active power scheme. The following options are available here:
- indication of the time of inactivity of the PC before going to sleep;
- enable / disable sleep mode;
- activation of wake-up timers. the parameter should be changed if there are problems with spontaneous start of the system (in this case, timers must be disabled).
The next section, which is directly related to sleep mode, is called "Power buttons and cover." Here you can select the reaction of the computer by pressing the button to turn off and close the cover of the portable device.
If necessary, the options for deactivating the hard disk (or disks) during PC downtime, as well as the parameters for lowering the brightness or turning off the display in the corresponding sections, are also set here.
Solution to the problem: in the search bar, write “Screensavers”.
We open its parameters and deactivates the display of the screen saver.
2. The PC does not wake up from sleep mode, displays a black screen instead of the lock screen, or does not respond to any buttons.
Usually, a video adapter driver installed by the operating system itself causes a similar problem.
The solution is to remove the video driver proposed by Windows 10, for example, using the special Display Driver Uninstaller utility, and install the software from the official site.
For older devices, especially with Intel and Dell graphics, the driver will have to be downloaded from the laptop support page and installed in compatibility mode with one of the previous versions of Windows.
3. The device turns on instantly, going into sleep state or after turning off.
The situation is typical for Lenovo laptops.
As mentioned earlier, go to the advanced power settings and deactivate the wake-up timer option.
Next, pointing the cursor to the start menu button, right-click and click on the “System” link, select “Device Manager” in the window that opens, find “Network Adapters” in the opened list, select the network adapter you have installed and prevent waking from the network adapter.
4. Many problems arise with the functioning of power circuits on portable devices from Intel after installing the tenth version of the operating system on them. They are associated with the automatic updating of Management Engine Interface drivers.
Go to the Device Manager and roll back the driver to the previous version or delete and replace it with the previous version downloaded from the driver archive on the laptop support site.
5. Decrease in brightness without the consent of the user is a less common, but seen on some laptops problem.
Sometimes the brightness level is brought up to 0% in order to save battery power.
If you are looking for a solution to overcome this situation, go to the advanced power settings of your device. In the Section titled “Screen”, indicate the brightness level of the display, which it should be in case of automatic decrease. This is done in the section "Screen brightness level ".
This completes the sleep study for Windows 10. Ask all questions through the form below.