The question of changing the resolution in Windows 7 or 8, and also to do it in the game, although it belongs to the category "for the most beginners," however, it is often asked. In this instruction, we will touch not only directly on the actions necessary to change the screen resolution, but also on some other things. See also: How to change the screen resolution in Windows 10 (video instruction), How to change the screen refresh rate.
In particular, I’ll talk about why the required resolution may not be in the list of available ones, for example, when the Full HD 1920 screen is 1080, you can’t set a resolution higher than 800 × 600 or 1024 × 768, why it is better to set resolution on modern monitors, corresponding to the physical parameters of the matrix, well, what to do if everything on the screen is too large or too small.
Table of Contents
Change screen resolution in Windows 7
In order to change the resolution in Windows 7, simply right-click on an empty area of the desktop and select the “Screen Resolution” item in the context menu that appears, where these settings are configured.
Everything is simple, but some have problems. blurry letters, everything is too small or large, there is no necessary permission and similar ones. We will analyze all of them, as well as possible solutions in order.
- On modern monitors (on any LCD. TFT, IPS and others) it is recommended to set the resolution corresponding to the physical resolution of the monitor. This information should be in the documentation for it or, if there are no documents, you can find the technical specifications of your monitor on the Internet. If you set lower or higher resolution, then distortions will appear. blur, “ladders” and others, which is not good for the eyes. As a rule, when setting the permission, “correct” is marked with the word “recommended”.
- If the list of available permissions is not needed, and only two or three options are available (640 × 480, 800 × 600, 1024 × 768) and everything is large on the screen, then most likely you have not installed drivers for the computer video card. It is enough to download them from the official website of the manufacturer and install on a computer. Read more about this in the article Updating Video Card Drivers.
- If everything seems very small when setting the desired resolution, then do not try to change the size of fonts and elements by installing a lower resolution. Click the "Resize text and other elements" link and set the ones you need.
These are the most common problems that you may encounter with these actions.
How to change the screen resolution in Windows 8 and 8.1
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems, changing the screen resolution can be done in exactly the same way as described above. At the same time, I recommend to follow the same recommendations.
However, in the new OS, there is another way to change the screen resolution, which we will consider here.
- Move the mouse pointer to any of the right corners of the screen to display the panel. On it, select "Options", and then, at the bottom. "Change computer settings."
- In the options window, select "Computer and devices", then. "Screen".
- Set the desired screen resolution and other display options.
Change screen resolution in Windows 8
Perhaps this will be more convenient for someone, although I personally use the same method to change the resolution in Windows 8 as in Windows 7.
Using graphics card management utilities to change resolution
In addition to the options described above, you can also change the resolution using various graphics control panels from NVidia (GeForce graphics cards), ATI (or AMD, Radeon graphics cards) or Intel.
Access graphic features from the notification area
For many users, when working in Windows, the notification area has an icon for accessing the functions of the video card, and in most cases, if you right-click on it, you can quickly change the display settings, including the screen resolution, simply by selecting the one you need. menu.
Change the screen resolution in the game
Most full-screen games set their own resolution, which you can change. Depending on the game, these settings can be found in the “Graphics”, “Advanced Graphics Settings”, “System” and others. I note that in some very old games you can’t change the screen resolution. One more note: setting a higher resolution in the game can lead to the fact that it will “slow down”, especially on not too powerful computers.